Valentine’s Day is a holiday loaded with emotional expectation, and chances are not all of your Valentine’s Days have turned out exactly like the fairy-tale that you wanted. However, you can strengthen your emotional and physical relationship with your partner on a daily basis with some simple actions guaranteed to keep the spark in your relationship ignited every day of the year. Read on for suggestions.
- Always ask your partner about their day. Couples who share their daily events with each other, both good and bad, are rewarded with increased feelings of intimacy and connection.
- Embrace inside jokes just between the two of you. Psychologists have found that when couples share a laugh over the same thing, each feels validated by the other.
- Make time for your partner’s friends and family members. Research has shown that the more a couple’s friends and family intermingle, the happier their relationship.
- Keep sex a priority. Both physical and emotional intimacy are critical to a successful relationship.
- Make sure you are really listening to your partner, and not just waiting for your turn to talk. A study conducted by Harvard University researchers has discovered that the more empathy and affection a couple expresses to each other, the more likely they are to stay together.
- Don’t let fights define you. Understand that when you are as close to an individual as you are to your partner, it is natural to become irritated with them at times. That being said, if you are going to argue, it is important to fight fairly. Never resort to yelling or name-calling. More importantly, try to frame your statements in a non-accusatory manner, and focus on moving forward as a couple, rather than just expressing how you feel individually. Try using statements that start with the words we, us, or our.