If you are trying to conceive, your best chances of doing so occur in what is known as your “fertile window.” This is the 24-36 hour period of time after your ovaries release an egg in which the egg can be fertilized by a sperm. With technology such as Lady-Comp making determining your fertile window relatively simple, you may be frustrated if you are having sex on all the right days but still not conceiving. If this is the case, please be assured that only about 50% of healthy couples conceive within their first four to five months of trying. After a full year, that number goes up to 85%. However, there are a few things you can do to increase your chances along the way:
1) Make sure to have sex once per day starting five days before you anticipate ovulation until two days after you ovulate. Sperm can stay alive inside a woman’s body for up to five days, so sex at this frequency will provide your best chances of conception.
2) After sex, remain laying down for at least 20 minutes to give the sperm time to swim towards your egg.
3) Avoid using lubricants, scented tampons, douches, and glycerin soap while trying to conceive, as all of these items can kill sperm.
4) If you are a smoker, quit now. Smoking 10 cigarettes a day can lower your chances of conceiving by 50%!
5) Start cutting back on your caffeine consumption. Caffeine restricts your blood vessels and increases your heart rate, which mimics the body under stress. It is optimal for conception if you are in a calm and relaxed state.
If you have been adhering to these recommendations and are still frustrated with the length of time it is taking you to become pregnant, most definitely visit your doctor to discuss your concerns, as it is possible there could be a medical reason for the delay.